Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My Encounter with E-poetry out of Class







































Once we finished going over the e-poems in class and were assigned to find some of our own, I was feeling very confident that I could find one and analyze it very well. Easier said than done. Finding an e-poem that was simple enough for a novice like me to interpret yet complex enough to show that I actually put effort into the assignment was no easy feat. I went through countless lists of e-poems that were either so involved that I wasn't sure what I was looking at or that were so simple that I wasn't sure how much I could even say about it. I wanted to enjoy reading it and also feel challenged to figure out what it could mean. Finally, I found one that I deemed suitable for my needs. I decided on "Strings" by Dan Waber (which can be found at the following URL: http://www.vispo.com/guests/DanWaber/index.html ).



In "Strings", there are different stages where the strings will transform into different words and move around the screen. In order, the stages are argument, argument2, flirt, flirt (cntd), haha, youandme, arms, and poidog. In argument, there is one string that rocks back and forth on the screen and as it goes from side to side it changes from the word "yes" to "no" until it finally falls flat again. In argument2, the word "maybe" is added and the words are randomly flying around the screen. In flirt, the word "no" floats across the screen and when it exits, it begins to transform into a new word but it is illegible. In flirt (cntd), the word "yes" just floats around, twirls, and gets larger at times. In haha, there is one string that resembles the one in argument because it rocks back and forth and as it reaches each side the word "ha" appears. Each time it rocks back and forth, more "has" appear on the string until the whole string is covered with "hahahahahahaha". The string finally goes flat. In youandme, the word "you" moves at a very slow and steady pace as the word "me" flies around aimlessly. In arms, the string transforms from the word "your" to "arms" to an open ring that twirls around to "me" before falling flat. In poidog, the string transforms from each word to form the sentence "words are like strings that I pull out of my mouth" and falls flat.

I believe that each stage of this poem represented different aspects of a relationship. In argument, the yes and no were so grounded and it was so back and forth that it reminded me of the fights in a relationship where it's impossible to sway the other's opinions. In argument2, it reminded me of the fights that aren't very substantial where neither side is very strong because the "yes" and "no" were just floating around and then "maybe" would enter the picture occasionally. In flirt, it reminded me of the beginning stages of flirting when one person is slightly reserved but then they open up to the flirting because it started out as "no" but then it progressed to an illegible word as if they were letting go of their reservations. In flirt (cntd), it seemed to resemble strong flirting because the word "yes" was the only word. It floated and twirled which reminded me of a person who was enjoying the flirting and was actively flirting back. In haha, I was reminded of the good times that are had in a relationship and how each person enjoys the other's company very much because the "ha" was going between both sides and grew to more "has" as it progressed. In youandme, the way that "you" was moving steadily along while "me" zipped all around "you" made me think of two things. I thought of relationships where the people have such completely opposite personalities but it works for them and they're ok with it. The other thing it reminded me of is how sometimes there is one person who is always putting more effort into the relationship than the other. In arms, when it changed from "your arms" to an open ring that circled around to "me", it made me think of how people feel safe, comfortable, and whole in the arms of their loved one. Finally in poidog, when it says "words are like strings that I pull out of my mouth" it made me think of when you're with someone that you're comfortable with, that you relate to really well, and that you feel a strong connection to, it's incredibly easy to talk to them and you feel like you'll never run out of things to say to each other.


This poem would be extremely confusing on a page because the way that the reader is able to interpret it has everything to do with the way the words move. There are no other elements other than the movements of the words but they make the poem what it is. If it was simply the words on a page, no one would be able to figure out the theme which is the different elements of a relationship. They might figure out that it had to do with two people but nothing else would make sense. Also, in the digital version it had titles of each element which, if presented on a page, might confuse the reader even further. I really enjoyed this poem in its electronic form because it was able to convey all the different elements of a relationship simply by moving and transforming a string. I was able to relate to each element simply because of the way it was presented and if it was on a piece of paper I wouldn't have understood it.

No comments:

Post a Comment